Daily chores are the household work done by the family members to maintain a living and keep their home clean and cheerful. I am sure you are part of our amazing learning group Love Is Play-Based Learning! We should always involve children in daily household chores to let them learn from the very beginning. But we should make sure the task assigned to them are age-appropriate. We are here for you today to come up with the age-appropriate household chores list for kids of all ages! I am sure you must be a part of our amazing Facebook page Tinydale to stay updated with our latest posts and videos!
Magical Tricks Related To Chores For Children
Some of the following tricks which words wonder with my kids are :
- Assigning work will feel important.
- Kids feel they can help their elders when involved in daily activities.
- Values are embedded in them like hard work and kindness.
- They learn to be patient in their early years. As each task assigned requires time to be done.
- Children learn to organize things. For example, when I tell my kid to load the dishwasher. He will first watch, identify, and discover what has to be kept where? He will then decide to fit the plates, bowls, and spoons as per their place assigned in the dishwasher.
- Let kids be free to choose the work as per their choice to start.
- Gradually, You can focus on developing other skills. But make sure they are little ones, And you can expect a lot of mistakes. Take them as a part of learning.
- Children learn to focus. If they feel anxious, don’t pressure. When I give my child to clean the room, he arranges it serially. In this way, he focuses on every bit of the room. To make sure the room is neat.
- I believe the kids involved in tasks early tend to live a healthy and happy life.
Age-Appropriate Household Chores List
Now, I would like to discuss some of the Age-Appropriate Chores for children:
Household Chores List For 2-4 Years
- Pick up toys
- Pick up their books
- They can put clothes in a laundry bag
- Wipe slates, white and blackboards
- Put clothes, and napkins in the cupboard
- Wipe if something spilled on the floor or table
- They can dust
- Can make a stack of books in one column
- Help in feeding their pets by putting pet food in their container.
- Make a bed like they can put a pillow and comforter in place.
- Collect dirty clothes and put them in the basket.
For 4-6 Years
- Load and unload the dishwasher with the help
- If assigned, they can make the dining table. They can even arrange cutlery.
- Clear the left out food and chores from the dining area
- They can help in washing dishes but with an adult’s help.
- Help in wiping and cleaning the sink but with proper care
- Form pairs of socks and can keep them.
- They can fold napkins, towels, and some simple square-shaped clothes.
- Can collect newspapers
- They can adequately make their bed. Even they can fold their comforter and quilts.
- They can take care of the home garden by watering the plants.
- Wash like for example, wash and clean the plastics bowls and spoons.
- Take care of their loving pets.
- And, All the above tasks.
Household Chores List For 6-8 Years
- They can sequence laundry.
- Can sort dirty and clean clothes separately as shown in the video below.
- Sweeping and dusting the floor and the furniture
- They can arrange the dining table before mealtime.
- Clear the dining table back.
- Can maintain their plants in the garden
- Make their bedroom
- Tidy the bed and cover it with a cover
- Arrange their study table and books as per subjects
- Stationary arrangements.
Chores For 8-12 Years
- All previous daily chores
- Arrange the fruits and vegetables
- Wash and clean the tables after lunch and dinner time
- Peel fruits and vegetables with proper care
- Make simple recipes that require fewer ingredients and fireless cooking, Like making Nutella toast and Strawberry milkshakes.
- They can maintain and clean the trash bin
- Clean the mirrors and glass windows with sprays and surface cleaners
- Sweep and do mopping on the floor
- Fold their basic tees and pants. Even they can try to fold the tricky ones
- Take their cute little pets on a walk
- They can do a vacuum.
Household Chores List For 12+ Years
- All the above tasks
- They can be a great help for their siblings. Love and take care of their little siblings
- Clean kitchen under adult supervision.
- Do cleaning and mopping
- Vacuum the floor of the house
- Clean the kitchen shelves and table and arrange the containers and grocery back in their place
- Wash the car under supervision
- Iron their clothes if needed
- Fold and do the bedsheets on the bed
- Take garbage
- Vacuum and clean their cars from inside
- Clean the rooms
- Make the listing of daily grocery
- Clean the fridge, the racks, and the things inside. Sort the things based on their temperature requirement
- Maintain their room tidy and their workspace clear.
Importance of Household Chores for kids!
Some more tricks to be followed with kids regarding chores are as follows:
- Be gentle with your kids.
- Each kid is unique, and so is his development. So, Don’t burden them with age-appropriate things. Let them move at their own pace.
- Let things be a little here and there—the help matters. So don’t panic if it is not perfect.
- Delaying to start with the household chores will not help. Instead, Always give it a try. And, Wait till your child is ready for the task. In this way, they develop a Love Of Sharing.
- Positive words will be magical. Always praise your child even if he cannot make the task: the attempt and the hard work he put into doing the chore matters. So please use positive and encouraging words.
- I tried this thing; it works for me. Try to list out the chores for the day. Let your kid can select the chore; he is willing to help you. List out the chores in the form of a table, chart, or a basic list on the wall or whiteboard. Let them tick as per their choice initially. Gradually they will love to have active participation.