Babies are highly prone to infections as their immune system is still in the developing stage. Taking care of a baby is hard some but it is a lovely experience for every mother. In the experience of child development, they may rush to a pediatrician on seeing the rashes on the baby’s neck. It is called Baby Neck Yeast Infections. Let us go further to know more details about this and learn about yeast infection baby neck in detail.And even newborn neck rash or infant neck rash is common.
The skin folds in the baby’s neck denote the baby is on the way to muscle development and has not attained its milestone. These folds can pay the way for the infections to occur. Baby neck yeast infections are common among babies under the age of 6 months. The invaders are not from the outside world they are from the body itself. Yes, the yeast present in and on our bodies causes yeast infections when its overgrowth.
The positive side is that yeast infections are not a serious condition, they are common and treatable. Here in this article, you will get detailed information on baby neck yeast infections like their causes, symptoms, and treatments.
what does yeast rash look like?
Yeast infection on neck pictures are :
What Is Yeast Infections?
Yeasts are the healthy fungus found on the skin and inside our body in places like the mouth, throat, gut, and vaginal area. When it overgrows it cause yeast infections and it may be referred to as candidiasis. And this type of yeast is called candida. The yeast growth is kept in control by friendly bacteria when there is an imbalance situation the yeast starts to overgrow than requires. It causes yeast infections in the baby. Yeast will grow well in warm and moist areas; the skin folds in the baby’s neck give the space for it. There develop baby neck yeast infections.
These yeast infections can also occur in other parts like the armpits, bottom, mouth, groin, legs, and vagina, and it causes rashes. Sometimes it also causes diaper rashes. Even these are commonly known as yeast rash on neck. Source
Symptoms Of Yeast Infection Baby Neck
This baby neck yeast infection starts with small redness in the neck skin folds and spread to other areas of the neck. It can identify by the red rashes and other associated symptoms.
The skin appears
- Redness with tiny bumps
- Redness with raised edges
- Discolored patches
- Swelling and red sore
- Red or pink scaly patches
- May develop fever
- Gives irritability and distress feeling
- Loss of appetite in some cases
Top 5 Causes Of yeast infection on neck
- The skin folds create an environment suitable for yeast infection to occur. Warm and moist in between the folds is perfect for yeast to grow.
- Unclean milk drool and spit-up can also cause yeast infection
- The spread of infections from other areas like the mouth or throat can cause baby neck yeast infection through spit-up, vomit, and drool.
- Friction due to cloths or blankets can cause irritated areas on the neck which makes the skin suitable for yeast infection.
- The external heat temperature during summer can develop a rash which further worsens by yeast infections.
Neck Rash Treatment for Yeast Infection Baby Neck
We have come up with top 3 pediatric yeast infection treatment:
- Mild Baby Neck Yeast Infection- Usually when the baby neck yeast infections are in mild condition can heal on their own as soon as the baby starts lifting their head or when they are in tummy time.
- Treat With Anti-fungal Topical Medication- The combination of the antifungal medication miconazole and zinc oxide can use for yeast infections. It is commonly known as infant yeast infection cream. It is good to consult a pediatrician before using a topical ointment or spray on your baby’s skin. Or you can use rash cream for neck.
- Cleaning and soothing the skin- Clean the baby’s neck using a fragrance-free and mild baby wash to prevent further irritation. Make sure the baby’s neck is moisture-free. After cleaning, gently apply moisturizer or skin ointment on the neck to soothe the skin.
Top 5 Home Remedies To Cure Yeast Infections on Baby’s Neck
Yeast infection on neck treatment are as follows:
- Use Light Cotton Fabrics- Proper dressing can avoid skin irritation. Dress up your baby with breathable and soft cotton clothes. Avoid synthetic clothes and clothes with multiple layers that can trap sweat inside. This remedy can even treat redness in neck.
- Use Mild Detergent- Use mild detergent free from heavy chemicals for washing the baby’s clothing, towel, and linen. It helps in preventing neck rashes to occur.
- Treat With Coconut Oil- The anti-microbial properties of coconut oil help in treating yeast infections in a baby’s neck. It also decreases inflammation and itchiness.
- Use Lukewarm Water- Harmful microbes in regular water may worsen the baby neck yeast infections. It may be a good idea to use lukewarm water to bathe babies.
- Apply Baby Talcum Powder- Sprinkling baby talcum powder in skin folds can prevent yeast infection and also control the growth of existing infections.
10 Tips To Prevent Yeast Infections on Baby’s Neck
You can take some preventive measures to reduce the risk of a baby neck yeast infection. It also prevents from getting worsens. The preventive measures are;
- To avoid skin folds make the baby lay flat on his back when sleeping
- Don’t let the baby seat on any kind of seat where there are possibilities for the head to bend down. It can cause skin folds. Avoid this situation.
- Use soft cotton clothes instead of rough fabrics or tight clothing.
- Wore neck-free cloth while indoors and also avoid blankets around the neck.
- Use a sterile washcloth and warm, soapy water to wash your baby’s neck.
- Keep on the check and clean the baby’s neck regularly after every feeding, drooling, spitting up, or vomiting.
- Sterilize all baby items such as baby’s pacifier, bottle nipples, and teething toys with running hot water.
- Avoid using antibacterial soap and ointment on the baby’s skin or infected areas.
- Chemical soaps, shampoos, and laundry detergents can cause irritation on the baby’s skin which can result in skin infections.
- Don’t touch the baby’s neck area unnecessarily and also avoid kissing.
If you notice any rash on the baby’s neck or around, go and check with the doctor who specializes in the baby. The doctor will check the baby’s neck by wiping it gently with cotton to see for any infections. He will give the treatment that requires.
If it is left untreated it can spread to other areas of the skin and worsen the condition.
In this, you might get information on baby neck yeast infections. To say in a few words it is a skin rash that occurs when yeast grows abnormally. Skin folds provide the best environment for yeast infections to blossom. Skin folds are high when the babies are under 4 months. So, it is a common infection in babies. With caring and following preventive measures, you can save a baby from baby neck yeast infections.
Also Read: Baby Ear Infection – Causes, Prevention And Home remedies
Follow Us: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest
In the next article, we will try to come up with a rash cream for neck. I am sure you are part of our amazing group “Baby World” to stay tuned with our latest videos and posts.
Tinydale is on YouTube, Click here to subscribe for the latest videos and updates.
The article written by me is for information purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice. The reader should always consult a Medical practitioner concerning any medical condition.