So, we are here back again with the bang again on our most popular section on Learning with Us at Tinydale! How to teach th? Guess What? We are here with a new consonant digraph i.e. th Words for kids and its lesson plan. th digraph is the word that when combined makes a unique sound.In this lesson plan children will be able to recognize and identify /th/ digraph and the words starting and ending with ch digraph and frame sentences as well. So, What are we waiting for? Your Friend Tinydale is here to take you on an amazing journey of learning this amazing lesson plan:
Before that please don’t forget to
1. Introducing th words for kids
You can start by introducing that we are going to learn more about consonant blends today and a new grapheme. In today’s lesson, we will discuss 2 consonants i.e. t and h when come together to make a single sound known as a consonant digraph /th/.
You can even recall the digraph we have done before to brush up:
2. th words with pictures
In the next step. Try to bring up the picture cards with th words. That works very well with children of small ages even Kindergartners. Children love visual learning. You can simply start by showing pictures to the children one by one. And let them guess the name of the objects or things shown on the picture card. Such as you can begin with the thorn picture or simply point it out to the real thorn in the plant and let them guess.
3. Voiced th words
Let the kids spell out the words with this digraph. Let them start spelling out. As soon as they start spelling they will observe that their tongue is between their front teeth when they say these words.You can use Phonics Volume 1 to spell it out loud.And then let the children know when teeth are joined and tongue go behind the teeth these th words are speeled out.
4. th Tongue Twister Game
First, rules should be explained by the teacher to all children. And then give the tongue twister to all children
The top 5 Tongue twister you can try out are as follows:
- Some theories believe there to be things out there.
- Thirsty throats find things to drink.
- Some things seem to find themselves.
- My thumb is too thick to flick this.
- Three thousand spears were thrown at the throne.
Let the children listen to the tongue twister clearly. Kids can decide their favorite tongue twister among these. Children love tongue twister and here learning happens in a fun way with the th tongue twister game.
Let all the kids get the turn one by one. The child said it correctly without stopping wins the game of Charles and Richard game.
5. Guess th words with pictures Game?
Here we are with th words games. Even you can try the simple game with ones who need support. Give the picture cards to each kid. Let them simply guess objects or things that start with th and say it aloud in front of their friends.
6. th words for kindergarten
- For enrichment kids, you can give a piece of paper and let them frame sentences or simply let them verbally make sentences using th digraph.
- For gifted ones, you can let them write the words starting and ending with th.
- For support let them say aloud the words with th.
7. th Words List
Let us have a look at the th words list and say aloud and let the kids repeat all over again in chorus. Kids love to repeat multiple times and you can even stick on the chart paper with th words. You can even practice th sight words.
8. Reading a Story
Reading aloud a story with ch words is an awesome idea. You can read the story and let kids know it is around the grapheme we are learning today. I love to read Thelma and Theo’s stories with my little ones in the class. After reading you can ask them which grapheme they can listen to most often in the story. Let the children learn about the words containing th is coming in the story. I mean the spellings beginning with th. The words end with th. And the spellings has th somewhere in the middle.
9. 1 Minute Game of th Words
- The lower ability have to circle the spellings starting with the th digraph in 1 minute
- The middle ability ones have to draw the spellings starting with the th digraph in 1 minute
- The higher ability ones have to write as many words as they remember with the th digraph.
Children love to play games and I am sure they will thoroughly enjoy fun-based learning 1-minute games with th grapheme.
10. th Lesson Plan Plenary
- Revise the phrase /th/ for today with the children.
- Give the chance to children to say as many words as they remember with /th/ digraph.
- You can even practice the simple worksheets such as matching, guessing the word, and so on.
- Let them go home and find out the object with graphene they have studied today and bring them to the class the next day!
Now can you say common words that start with th? Do let us know. Please feel free to share your experiences with digraph and learning. You can get more of our simple lesson plans in the learning category. Do not forget to share your stories with us on firstname.lastname@example.org, If you would like to get featured on our platform.