You might buy a bassinet for your baby with the thought that it can make your baby sleep quickly and peacefully. But your entire nightmare gets collapsed when your baby wakes up in the middle and screams. Is the problem with the bassinet? Why the baby is not sleeping in a bassinet? or What If Baby Won’t Sleep In Bassinet? or even how to get newborn to sleep in bassinet? These are the questions that may be in your mind. In this blog, We will try to answer all your questions regarding the baby and the bassinet one by one.
Why Your Baby Won’t Sleep In Bassinet?
Different causes could make your baby sleepless. Let us see what they are.
Temperature: Only after one year your babies can able to regulate their temperature. So, it is good to check their temperature, they should not be too cold or too hot. The best temperature for the babies is between 20 and 22 degrees Celsius.
Hungry Baby: if the little stomach is empty, it is hard for them to be asleep for a long time. Your baby will wake up suddenly due to hunger. During that time, you need to feed them as the little stomachs empty quickly. The baby will not get satisfied with one bottle of milk during the periods of growth and cluster feeding.
Gassy Feeling: your baby may fall asleep while you are feeding or bottle-feeding. If they are not burping out properly, they might get wake up in the middle. So, it is necessary to burp out before letting them sleep in the bassinet.
Dirty Diaper: Dirty diapers make the little one feel uncomfortable and may disturb them from sleeping. Babies suffering from reflux also get disturbed from sleeping.
Not Introducing Sleep Routines: The baby may not know whether it is day or night. You can keep lights on during the day to make them awake for an extended time and let them sleep more during the night. This can help them train their internal clock.
Overtired: if the baby has not slept for a long time, he will get tired, and a stress hormone secret more which can make them awake quickly.
Habit: if your baby has the habit of sleeping on you, it may be difficult for him to go asleep when you introduce him to the bassinet.
What Can You Do If The Baby Won’t Sleep In Bassinet?
Baby before coming into this world, he may live in a different environment which is a temperature-controlled and comfortable place. So we need to make the environment suitable for the baby to go to sleep.
- Ensure the baby’s body and room temperatures are in a perfect phase to allow them to sleep. It should not be too hot or too cold. For example, when changing the baby from your shoulder to the bassinet, you need to check the bassinet temperature. It should be a warm condition not to disturb them. The ideal temperature for the baby’s room is between 16 – 20 degrees Celsius.
- The newborn comes from a very dark environment where he might have not seen light forever. So lights in this environment may be stimulating and disturb sleep. Use black-out curtains or other materials to make the room extra dark.
- If your baby has reflux, you need to keep them upright for 20-30 minutes after a feed and then settle them in the bassinet.
- Being in the open space, the baby may have a startle reflex. Swaddling helps the baby prevent reflexes and gives them more security.
- Make sure you are not settling your baby to sleep in the bassinet with a dirty diaper.
- You can make the baby’s room dark with white noise and then settle your baby to sleep. It gives the feeling of being in the womb.
- Let your baby awake for the right amount of time so that he may not be under or over tired.
- Baby massage also helps the baby to fall asleep faster and have a relaxed sleep. It also helps in digestion and nervous system development.
Addition Tips To Follow To Make Your Baby Asleep
- You can place a hot water bottle in the bassinet to provide a warm temperature.
- Place your baby through feet in the bassinet instead of head first. It can avoid startling awake.
- Share your baby mattress for a couple of days to give them a feeling of presence.
- Always allow your baby to sleep on their back.
- Remove pillows, blankets, and toys from the baby’s sleep area.
Usually, the newborn can sleep for around 16 hours a day. It will get reduced as the baby grows, in around 3 to 4 months of age the baby will sleep for 14 hours. It is good to allow your baby to sleep in an environment that is more suitable and resemblance to the womb. You can buy a bassinet and settle them to sleep in that. If he won’t sleep in a bassinet, try to follow the things given in this article, you can make them sleep peacefully and securely.
Welcome to Baby World!
I am sure you are part of our amazing group “Baby World” to stay tuned with our latest videos and posts.