Being a mother is a blessing for any woman and breast milk of the mother is the best and most important tonic for any newly born baby. Today, we will check how to increase the milk supply. Breast milk helps babies develop their immune systems, and there are other various benefits to infants feeding on breast milk.
It helps in providing the right amount of nutrients, and it keeps on changing as per the baby’s needs and requirements of its body. Breast Milk protects the infant (baby) against all types of allergies, bacteria, and viruses, through which he may get sick. It helps to fight against infections. It is a perfect blend baby will have no problem digesting it and will not even feel diarrhea or upset stomach.
For promoting healthy growth. The composition of the mother’s milk changes itself based on various factors such as
- nursing frequency
- time of the day
- age of the baby, etc.
- The best part of this baby food is – it is available wherever the baby needs it. You don’t have to worry about the temperature, cleanliness, and other hygiene issues.
As we have now seen how important breast milk is for infants we will further see how to increase the supply of the milk. Many women are complaining about the low supply of milk, due to which the baby remains hungry, and may result in malnutrition.
How to Increase Milk Supply
There are many ways with which you can increase the supply of milk naturally.
- Breastfeed more often: When a baby suckles the mother’s breast, the mother’s body triggers the hormone called the “let down” reflex The letdown reflex helps your muscles to contract and relax and allows the milk to pass from the ducts. When you feed more milk to your baby, your body will generate more milk automatically.
- You must feed the baby 8 to 12 times a day.
- Pumping while feeding: Pumping your breast can also help increase the flow of the milk, you may warm your breast by rubbing gently, it will help you release the milk easier. You may try pumping when you feel Your breast still contains some milk, You haven’t fed your baby and are feeling heavy or Your baby has a formula or bottled milk.
- Breastfeed your baby from both sides. Don’t feed on one breast just because you feel comfortable in that direction. You must focus on both the breasts.
How To Produce More Milk
There are certain ways by which you as a mother can produce more milk
The first thing as we discussed, the more often you breastfeed the baby, the more milk you will generate. Feed your baby for a minimum of fifteen minutes. You must massage gently on the breast without any lubricants, during feeding time or before feeding, you may also massage after the baby has finished, because you may feel that there is some milk remaining. Keep yourself stress-free and in a relaxed condition as it will promote the good flow of the milk. Give your baby skin-to-skin time after feeding. It helps in developing a strong bond between the mom and the infant.
Supplements help those moms who are observing the low supply of milk. The baby feels empty, this may even happen if you are worried or stressed, and the supply of the milk decreases. At such times, lactation supplements can help you a lot. But it is always advisable to ask and confirm with your doctor before starting any synch supplements. Sometimes even the natural remedy can cause side effects.
Some foods and herbs can help you increase the milk supply. Canadian Breastfeeding foundation has drawn a conclusion about how to increase milk supply and has given the list of some foods and herbs that are mentioned below:
- Fennel Seeds
- Brewer’s Yeast
- Blessed Thistle
There are some cookies available in the store and at Amazon also, known by the name Lactation cookie, you may try them.
- Barley: You may add barley to your soups, stews, Risotto, and even Salads, Barley flakes can also be used in the milk or homemade bread.
- Barley malt: When the grains are germinated, a malting enzyme is released that converts the barley into a sweet syrup-like thing and this contains Lactogenic Beta Glucan. You may utilize this liquid- syrup to make your milk sweet and as a substitute for maple syrup.
- Fennel seed and plant and Fenugreek seeds: These are some very popular and ancient things used in many parts of India and the Middle east.
- Oats: Oats are rich in dietary beta after barley. They are well known for breast milk. You can use them by cooking them with some Indian spices, making cookies out of them, using a topping on fruits used in muffins and the way you like.
- Papaya: Papaya has been consumed for centuries in Asia, though it is not scientifically proven for increasing the milk supply, still many believe and consume it either raw or maybe with yogurt, in salads, soups, and noodle items.
How To Dry Up Breast Milk Naturally
Do you know breast milk drying up symptoms. And we are here with 5 amazing and easy ways to dry up breast milk naturally:
- When you stop feeding the baby, the milk dries up naturally, for some women the time is less, and for some it is high. When it dries naturally the mother can experience engorgement that can be painful. To relieve this pain you may use cabbage leaves.
- You can avoid nursing or pumping to reduce the supply of milk.
- Drinking herbal tea can help you dry the breast milk
- Using medication made for drying up the milk supply, consult your doctor for the same.
- Well if you see that the milk supply has declined in 2 weeks, you are having a fever, a lump-like thing in the breast, pain in the breast, you are feeling nauseous, dizzy, vomiting, feeling stressed or depressed, you must immediately contact your doctor.
Breast milk Producer
You must be wondering how and where this milk is being produced? So, to answer this question, read the following: the production of the milk occurs in the Alveoli region of the breasts, this is the cluster of grape-like cells, as the milk is made the letdown hormone squeezes it out and makes it flow to the milking ducts and it ultimately reaches to the mouth of the baby with the help of 15 to 20 openings present on each nipple.
So, my new moms, We hope you must have liked our article, we have seen various foods that Boost Milk supply, what is the Food for milk production or Boosting Milk supply foods both are the same, you may choose whatever is best for you, based on availability and affordability. We have seen How to stimulate the breast for lactation by gently messaging, it can help in increasing milk supply and also reducing the milk supply. Consult your lactation advisor doctor. Also, we have included the information on Increase milk supply supplements, and What helps milk supply. Feel free to share your information with us in the comment box below. Thank you and happy feeding.
This article is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended nor implied to be providing medical advice and is not a substitute for such advice. The reader should always consult a health care provider concerning any medical condition or treatment plan. Neither Tinydale.com nor the author assumes any responsibility or liability concerning the use of any information contained herein.