Sattu is returning to households today with a bang!
Especially, since the lockdown, people have rediscovered the magic ingredient in the kitchen and are using more than ever before!
Evidently, this calls for a guide on sattu, what it is, its benefits and how it is made.
What Is Sattu?
Sattu powder is a popular product that was first made in India. And, this traditional ingredient is usually made from roasted chickpeas (gram or chana dal).
Though, it can also include other grains or pulses like barley, wheat, or millet. Sattu has been consumed for centuries, particularly in the northern regions of India.
And, it offers various health benefits due to its nutritional composition.
What Is The English Name For This Powder?
In English, sattu is basically roasted gram flour or Bengal gram flour.
Further, it is made from gram seeds after they have been thoroughly roasted and ground into fine flour. And, sattu has several benefits that we shall discuss in the next section.
Sattu Powder Benefits
- Rich in Protein: It is an excellent source of plant-based protein, making it a beneficial dietary addition. Protein is essential for muscle building, repair, and overall growth.
- High in Dietary Fiber: Sattu contains significant amounts of dietary fiber, promoting better digestion and aiding in maintaining bowel regularity. It can help prevent constipation and promote a healthy digestive system.
- Low Glycemic Index: It has a low glycemic index, which means it releases energy slowly, helping to regulate blood sugar levels. It may benefit individuals with diabetes or those aiming to manage blood sugar fluctuations.
- Rich in Essential Nutrients: It contains essential nutrients like iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and B vitamins, contributing to overall health and well-being.
- Aids Weight Management: The high protein and fiber content of sattu can contribute to increased satiety, helping with appetite control and weight management.
- Supports Heart Health: The fiber and low-fat content of sattu can contribute to heart health by lowering cholesterol levels and improving overall cardiovascular function.
- Hydration and Rehydration: It can be mixed with water and consumed as a refreshing drink, making it an excellent option for hydration and rehydration.
- Suitable for People with Gluten Sensitivity: Since sattu is made from gluten-free ingredients like chickpeas, it is a safe option for individuals with gluten sensitivity or celiac disease.
- Promotes Muscle Endurance: Sattu’s protein content can help with muscle endurance and recovery, making it beneficial for athletes and those involved in physical activities.
Sattu Drink Recipe In 5 Easy Steps
- 2 tablespoons sattu (roasted gram flour)
- 2 cups chilled water
- 1 tablespoon sugar to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- A pinch of black salt (optional)
- Ice cubes (optional)
Prepare the sattu paste In a mixing bowl, add the sattu flour and a small amount of water (about 1/4 cup).
Mix it well using a spoon or whisk to form a smooth paste. This step helps in preventing lumps when you add more water later.
Add sweetener and spices Now, add the powdered jaggery or sugar to the sattu paste. Further, adjust sweetness according to taste. Next, add the roasted cumin powder, which adds a distinct flavor to the drink. Optionally, you can also add a pinch of black salt to enhance the taste.
Mix well Pour the chilled water into the mixing bowl with the sattu paste and the added sweetener and spices. Stir well using a whisk or spoon until all the ingredients are well combined.
Strain the mixture (optional). If you want a smoother texture, you can strain the sattu drink using a fine-mesh strainer or sieve. This step is optional, and some people prefer to skip it to keep the fiber content.
Serve and enjoy Pour the prepared sattu drink into glasses. You can add some ice cubes if you prefer it extra chilled. Garnish with a sprinkle of roasted cumin powder on top for added flavor and serve immediately.
Your drink is ready to enjoy! It’s a healthy and satisfying beverage packed with essential nutrients and perfect for quenching your thirst on a hot day.
Sattu Paratha Recipe In 5 Easy Steps
Ingredients For the dough
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (atta)
- Water, as needed
- A pinch of salt
For the sattu filling
- 1 cup sattu (roasted gram flour)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 green chilies
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Water or lemon juice, as needed (to moisten the filling)
Prepare the dough In a large mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour and a pinch of salt. Slowly add water and knead the dough. Cover the dough for about 15-20 minutes.
Make the sattu filling In a separate bowl, mix the sattu with chopped onions, green chilies, coriander leaves, carom seeds, roasted cumin powder, red chili powder (if using), and salt. Add a little water or lemon juice and mix well until the mixture becomes crumbly but moist enough to hold together.
Divide the dough and filling Divide the dough into equal-sized balls, slightly larger than the filling balls. Take a dough ball, flatten it, and place a portion of the sattu filling in the center. Bring the edges together and seal the filling by pinching the dough together.
Roll out the paratha Dust the stuffed dough ball with some flour and roll it out gently into a round flatbread using a rolling pin. Try to roll it evenly to avoid the filling from coming out. It should be slightly thicker than a regular chapati.
Cook the paratha Heat a tawa or flat pan over medium heat. Once hot, place the rolled paratha on the pan. Cook one side, then flip it over. Apply some oil or ghee on the cooked side and spread it evenly. Flip again on the other side.
Press the paratha gently using a spatula to ensure it cooks evenly and becomes golden brown on both sides. Once done, remove from the pan and place it on a plate. Repeat the process for the remaining dough balls.
Serve the delicious and nutritious Parathas hot with yogurt, pickle, or any chutney of your choice. Enjoy your homemade Sattu Parathas!
Sattu is consumed as part of a balanced diet for all nutrients. It has several nutrients in it which make it a kitchen essential. If you have any specific health concerns, it is best to consult a professional for your diet.
Beat the heat with a healthy and satisfying gram flour beverage or satisfy your cravings with sattu parathas – you will definitely be picking something healthy and tasty for your family!
Also Read: Whole Foods Smoothies Menu