What Is Number Bond?
Number Bond is a simple addition of two numbers, which makes a sum as a big number. Simply, It is a pair of numbers which by adding, make the specific number. Basically, they are number pairs. For kindergarten kids, we use simple drawings to make them understand the concept.
Like for example, Number Bond to 10 are as follows:
Number Bond to 5 are as follows:
In the above example, We saw some pairs which add together to make 10 and 5. These pairs in the above example are called number bonds. Basically, the Number bond is the pair between a number and the parts that form it.
Simple Ways To Practice Number Bond With Kindergarten Kids
Some of the simple ways to build the concept of number bond in kindergarten kids by following ways:
- The simplest way by the use of objects/things. The objects can be placed in front of kids. Let them sort out the objects. Like for example, If a kid has 6 green wooden blocks and 3 red wooden blocks. Tell him to sort out and separate based on color. Then let him add using number bonds and find out the answer.
- Another way is to take a colored A3 size paper. Now trace both of your hands with a palm and cut it properly. Now stick both the cutouts on plain colored paper. Let your kid draw some freehand on each finger. Now let him interact with the moving fingers. Let him count by folding the fingers required. Like for example, when we add 5 fingers plus 5 fingers, it makes 10. In this way, let him explore to make a Number bond till 10 using this Hand activity.
- Next, you can make them understand the concept shown in the picture below. Make 3 circles; the big circle should contain the addition of the two numbers. The smaller circle contains the number which we add together to make a big number. For example, in the image shown below, we will put 6 and 4 in small circles as when we add them, we get 10, which cokes in a big circle.
- You can make them practice in their respective notebook. They can understand the concept of number bond by performing simple additions.
- In daily routine, You can make them understand using different objects. Like taking 3 balls and adding 2 more balls, we get 5 balls.
So, This is all about the number bond. I practice all this with my kindergarten kid. These hands-on simple ideas make her understand the concept very well. Gradually, You can introduce the concept of whole and part relationships as in whole numbers and its parts.