If your stomach feels weird but no pain, it may be your food or other medication conditions behind it. It may be referred to as a tight stomach or stomach tightening or even tightness in stomach. Sometimes people may even complain tight feeling in lower stomach. Many people can even observe and relate as feelings of fullness or heavy feeling in stomach. It may occur due to various organic and functional abdominal conditions. Let us see here the causes, symptoms, and treatments.
Symptoms Of A Tight Stomach – A feeling of tightness in the stomach muscles for a while is referred to as stomach tightness. It may give a weird feeling without pain. It may feel like abdominal bloating or stomach cramps sometimes.
Tight Stomach Causes- Stomach Feels Weird But No Pain
Common causes of a tight stomach are indigestion, constipation, food poisoning, anxiety, pregnancy, infection, ulcer, and many others. Let us see a few of them here.
What does indigestion feel like? what is sour stomach? Stomach gurgling and gas and even stomach feels tight and bloated – There is no well-defined cause for indigestion. Many triggers are there that can cause indigestion. Mostly they are lifestyle-related. Indigestion may give weird feelings in the upper stomach including fullness, early satiety, or discomfort.
- Overeating or eating too quickly
- Too much caffeine or alcohol intake
- A burning sensation in the upper stomach
- Feeling full and uncomfortable
- Weird feeling in the upper middle stomach area
Treatments for indigestion
- If the symptoms are severe, get diagnosed with your doctor and undergo treatment
- Avoid trigger foods such as milk, caffeine, fatty or fried foods, alcohol, citrus fruits, and spicy foods
- Avoid large meals
- Improve physical activity, walk or do exercise after meals
- Reduce your weight
- Use acid-reducing medications such as antacids, H2 blockers, and Proton Pump inhibitors
- Try natural remedies such as chamomile tea, apple cider vinegar, ginger, and fennel seed
2. Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
IBS is a common disorder that affects the digestive system. The exact cause of IBS is unknown. It can associate with the bacteria or a virus present in the intestine.
Symptoms of IBS
A tight stomach is one of the symptoms, and other symptoms include
- abdominal pain
- diarrhea and constipation
Treatment of IBS
- Following healthy diet
- Regular physical exercise
- Stress management and relaxation techniques
- Medications such as antidiarrhoeal, laxative, antibiotics, and dietary supplement
3. Constipation –
Stomach Feels Weird But No Pain
When the stools remain in the colon for a long time and find it difficult to pass is called constipation. It will give the weird feeling of fullness but no pain. A poor diet is the common cause of constipation.
Symptoms of constipation
- Lesser bowel movements in a week than normal
- Passing hard, dry stools
- Difficult and painful bowel movements
- Feeling bloated and uncomfortable
- Abdominal pain
- Feeling sluggish
Treatment for constipation
- Drink plenty of water and add more liquid foods
- Add more fiber-rich foods
- Regular exercise helps in constipation
- Stool softener and laxatives may also help in constipation
4. Food Poisoning
Eating contaminated, toxic, or spoiled food can cause food poisoning. You may feel weird and uncomfortable.
Symptoms of food poisoning
- Stomach cramping
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
Treatment of food poisoning
- Keep hydrated
- Take rest
- Medication like anti-diarrhoeal
5. Stomach feels weird but no pain Anxiety
A weird stomach or stomach tightening due to anxiety may refer to as a nervous stomach.
Symptoms of anxiety
- Feeling nervous, restless, or tense
- Increased heart rate
- Feeling weak or tired
- Breathing rapidly or hyperventilation
- Feeling panic or dread
Treatment of anxiety
- Improve physical activity
- Healthy diet
- Relaxation techniques and regular sleep
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol
6. Ulcer-related Dyspepsia
Ulcers result from stomach lining damage due to bacterial infections or NSAID drug intake. Stomach and duodenal ulcers are common. It causes severe pain in the upper central abdominal.
Symptoms of ulcers
- Weird stomach feeling without pain
- Pain in the epigastric area
- Burning sensation in the chest area
- Nausea or vomiting
- Feeling fullness
Treatment of ulcers
- Diet changes
- Medications like antacid can help
7. Stomach feels weird but no pain Pregnancy
During pregnancy, stomach tightening or weird feeling is normal. In early pregnancy, stomach tightening may be due to ligaments stretching. Later in the pregnancy, stomach tightening may be related to contractions.
The tight feeling may be the feeling of your baby moving around inside the uterus.
Since the causes of stomach tightening are many, to get appropriate treatment, you must know the cause. Most of the causes are related to lifestyle and diet. Following a healthy diet and regular exercise, you can avoid weird feelings or stomach tightening conditions.
Sometimes stomach tightness may also be a symptom of other serious conditions. If you find any symptoms like severe stomach pain, weight loss, fever, bloody stools, yellowish tint in the skin, feeling full, and swelling of the stomach, in association with stomach tightness, immediately visit your doctor. Otherwise, this weird feeling may come and go from time to time. It is not such a serious symptom. By finding the cause, you can treat them effectively and quickly. If the symptom continues, check with your doctor and take appropriate treatment.
The article written by me is for information purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice. The reader should always consult a Medical practitioner concerning any medical condition.