Muscle cramps resulting from over-exercise or continuous work can be solved with foods available in your kitchen. Did you ever think about foods that help with muscle cramps? We are here today to list put 15+ foods that help with muscle cramps. Let us begin:
What are muscle cramps?
Muscle cramps are unexpected contractions of muscles that failed to get relaxed. They cause severe pain and common muscles that are affected by these muscles cramps are the back of your lower leg or thigh, and the front of your thigh.
It also affects the other parts of the body including the abdominal wall, arms, hands, and feet. Cramps create sudden and sharp pain that lasts for a few minutes. It also causes muscle lumps under the skin in rare cases along with a cramp.
What are the causes of muscle cramps?
The top 9 causes of muscle cramps are given below.
- Overuse of muscles, for example, doing exercise for a long time or heavy weight lifting
- Muscle injuries and dehydration can also cause muscle cramps
- Side effects of some medication results in muscle cramps
- Vitamin D deficiency can cause muscle cramp
- Decreased potassium levels in the body can cause cramps
- Low levels of other minerals like calcium, sodium, and magnesium can also cause muscle cramps.
- Poor blood supply to legs and feet can cause cramping in those areas while doing physical activities.
- Sitting or standing for a long time can cause muscle cramps
- Medical conditions like a spinal nerve problem, pregnancy, kidney failure, hypothyroidism, alcoholism can lead to muscle cramps.
15+ foods that help with muscle cramps
We will see the 20 foods that help with muscle cramps and relax your muscles.
- Avocado- Avocado is an electrolyte-rich food. It helps in balancing electrolytes while doing workouts and prevents cramps.
- Coconut water-Coconut water is a rich source of potassium, magnesium, calcium, sodium, and phosphorous. It is a super hydrating drink and is effective in reducing muscle cramps. It is the best drink after a workout.
- Watermelon- It is a good fruit for dehydration and is rich in magnesium and potassium. It helps in preventing muscle cramps.
- Papaya- This potassium-rich fruit will benefit you by preventing muscle cramps. You can try it on a salad or roasted fruit.
- Beet Greens- The potassium-rich beet greens are not only good for bone health it also prevents muscle cramps. It also contains magnesium, calcium, phosphorous, and B vitamins. And nitrates in beets help in maintaining proper blood flow to your muscles.
- Sardiness- Sardines are the super source of iron, phosphorus, calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium, and vitamin D. All these nutrients are good enough to prevent cramps. And selenium in sardines is good for muscle function.
- Bananas- Bananas improve potassium levels when you take them before your workout. It helps in preventing muscle cramps to occur. It is also stimulating muscle growth by boosting protein into your muscles.
- Spinach- Spinach is rich in Nutrients like potassium, magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin K, and folate. It is an excellent cramp killer.
- Lentils- Magnesium is an important nutrient for muscle relaxing with which the lentils are loaded. It is also a good source of fiber which helps in keeping your blood sugar level in control and lowers your bad cholesterol level.
- Fermented foods- Foods such as kimchi, yogurt, and sauerkraut are a few of the fermented foods. It is a rich source of electrolytes like sodium which can help you to reduce cramps.
- Pickle juice- The high electrolyte content in pickle juice can limit muscle cramps.
- Greek Yogurt- Calcium is an essential mineral for bone health. This calcium-rich greek yogurt can prevent muscle cramps and helps in muscle recovery. The protein in yogurt helps in the growth and repairing of muscle tissue.
- Sweet potatoes- Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins, minerals, and other plant compounds. The potassium, magnesium, and calcium in sweet potatoes help in preventing muscle cramps.
- Turmeric- The curcumin in turmeric helps in treating muscle soreness, injury, and damage. Adding turmeric to your diet can prevent muscle cramps which can occur during a workout.
- Smoothies- Smoothies made out of bananas, yogurt, and berries are a good source of healthy nutrients and minerals. It will help a lot in treating muscle cramps and muscle building.
- Berries- Flavonoids in berries including blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and tart cherries can fight against free radicals causing various diseases. It also prevents muscle cramps. Anthocyanins in berries are reasons beyond all diseases prevention.
- Milk- Electrolytes such as calcium, potassium, and sodium are rich in milk. It helps in muscle cramps and muscle repair. It is also a good source of protein.
- Water- Dehydration is one of the main causes of muscle cramps. Drinking enough water during your workout session or other physical activities can prevent cramps. And other benefits of water are giving better heart health and soft skin.
Cramps Free With This Super Foods!
These are the 15+ that help with muscle cramps when you are doing your workout or involved in heavy physical activity. These superfoods can be considered as muscle cramps home remedy. Adding these foods to your diet before or after your workout session will be helpful in preventing muscle cramps.